Periodontal disease, known commonly as gum disease, is inflammation or infection of the gums. It can be a serious condition, but it is treatable at The Dental Design Center in White Plains.
Gum disease is so omnipresent in the US that it has been called a ‘health crisis’ by the American Dental Association. The earlier it is diagnosed, the better the patient responds to treatment.
- If left untreated, it can cause permanent damage such as tooth loss.
- Practicing daily oral hygiene and having 6-month dental exams are the best way to prevent periodontal disease.
- Periodontal disease can occur without the presence of dental caries.
- Almost half of all 30+ adults in the US have periodontal disease.
- In some cases, periodontal disease produces no noticeable symptoms.
Risk factors for periodontal disease include tobacco use, inadequate oral hygiene (especially failing to floss), genetics, teeth grinding, inflammatory conditions, and poor nutrition.
Even if you don’t feel any pain in your mouth, it is essential to see us regularly at The Dental Design Center in White Plains. We also provide general dentistry. Schedule an appointment with us today.
Contact The Dental Design Center – Ira J. Handschuh, D.D.S.:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):