Cracked teeth can be painful, unattractive, and pricey to repair. In this post from The Dental Design Center in White Plains, we offer tips to keep your teeth whole and strong.
1. Don’t chew on hard substances. Mind-blowing, right? People should steer clear of ice, hard candies, hard nuts, popcorn, and beef jerky. Also be wary of pitted fruits—that peach may be soft, but if you bite hard into the stone you could damage a tooth.
2. Always wear a mouthguard when playing sports. If you enjoy pick-up basketball games, indoor soccer leagues, rec center flag football, and many other activities, you should be using a well-fitting mouth protector.
3. Don’t use your teeth as a tool. Take a minute to find a pair of scissors before you tear open a package of lunch meat instead of your teeth. Use a nutcracker for nuts. A quality dental crown can cost hundreds of dollars.
4. Most people know that grinding your teeth is harmful, but did you know that it can lead to a cracked tooth? If you know or suspect that you are a tooth grinder, ask us about a nighttime mouth guard. Having headaches or jaw pain frequently can be a symptom of teeth grinding.
5. Lastly, make sure that you visit us regularly for check-ups and cleanings. We can alert you to conditions that might predispose you to cracked teeth, such as having an uneven chewing surface or brittle teeth. We may also discover tiny cracks you aren’t aware of. Take care of these cracks before the whole tooth is in danger.
If you already have a cracked tooth, please let us know, at The Dental Design Center in White Plains. There are corrective procedures that can help. We offer general and restorative dentistry. Call for an appointment today!
Contact The Dental Design Center – Ira J. Handschuh, D.D.S.:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):